The REU in Microbiology at The University of Iowa seeks to foster the careers of the next generation of microbiologists. We do this by providing an intensive 10-week research experience for bright and ambitious undergraduates who are considering a PhD in microbiology or an allied discipline. The focus of the program is a hands-on research project conducted under the guidance of faculty and graduate student mentors. A range of research projects will be available, including basic mechanisms of bacterial and viral gene expression, virus structure and assembly, biofilm formation, microbial development, and prokaryotic cell biology. Students will also attend lectures to broaden their understanding of microbiology and educate them about graduate school and career options.
Overview of the Program
- Participants conduct full-time, hands-on research in microbiology, microbial genetics, or molecular biology. Enrichment activities include weekly seminars and workshops on graduate school and career opportunities.
- Program lasts for 10 weeks (May 26-July 31, 2015)
- Participants receive a $5,250 stipend plus a $530 food allowance.
- On-campus housing is provided at no cost to the participants.
- Travel costs are paid by the program.
- The program is intended for undergraduates who:
- Have completed at least two years of college.
- Will be returning for at least one semester of undergraduate study before graduation.
- Are majoring in a biological science.
- Are interested in pursuing graduate school and a career in biological research.
- Are United States citizens or permanent residents (hold a green card).
- Have limited access to research opportunities at their home institution.
- Prior research experience is NOT a requirement.
This program seeks to improve diversity in the biological sciences. Disabled students, minority students, and disadvantaged students (economically or first in family to attend college) are especially encouraged to apply.
Questions? Try our FAQ. You can also send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 319-335-7980. For more information please visit: http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/microbiology/summer/
Your complete application includes:
- The online application (click here to go to the application).
- A copy of your.
- Two letters of recommendation