The Upward Bound Regional Math Science Center (RMSC) at Frostburg State University seeks tutor/ counselors for a summer program designed to encourage and motivate qualified high school students to pursue post-secondary education and to develop skills and attitudes essential for success beyond high school.
These are residential positions and Tutor Counselors (TCs) are responsible for supervising program participants (high school students) in the residence halls and during all RMSC sponsored activities.
Tutor Counselors are also an integral part of the student’s academic experience as TCs attend academic classes with the students and assist them as they complete their scientific investigations.
TCs also chaperone field trips; plan & lead recreational activities; and create, maintain & enforce a safe, positive & productive residential hall living environment.
Includes one week of staff training and the 5-week summer program with students.
TENTATIVE DATES: June 13- July 22, 2016 SALARY: $2,700. Position also includes room, board, and all field trip expenses are paid by the RMSC.
- One Year Undergraduate Experience
- Comfortable Working Out Of Doors (most of our science projects include field work)
- Excellent Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Ability To Relate To Diverse University Population
- Evidence Of Success In Course Work In Science, Math or Writing
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Experience Supervising Students In Residential Setting
- Tutoring Or Teaching In Math, Science Or Writing
- Experience As Camp Counselor
- Valid Driver's License
- Experience With Disadvantaged Youth
- Participated In TRIO Or Similar Program.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: www.frostburg.edu/clife/mscenter or 1-800-646-6004
TO APPLY: Send a letter of interest; resume; copy of transcripts; and names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references to:
Regional Math/Science Center
101 Braddock Road
Frostburg State University
Frostburg, MD 21532
or to RMSC@frostburg.edu. If applying via email please indicate position and your name in the subject line: ex: TC – Jim Smith.
DEADLINE: Applications are reviewed as they are received, and interviews will begin in January and continue until all positions are filled. You are encouraged to submit your application early for consideration for these positions.