Summer Science Writing Internship
- The intern will report and write about VASG researchers, students, and staff for our website. Interns work from Virginia Sea Grant headquarters at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science over a 10 week period.
- The intern will learn reporting, interviewing, and writing skills, focusing on marine science topics.
- Any student, regardless of citizenship, who is enrolled in, or who has recently graduated from an undergraduate program in communication, journalism, science writing, basic science, or other related field at an accredited institution of higher education in the U.S., is eligible for the internship.
- $4,000 stipend.
- Official Internship Announcement will be released early in the year.
- Deadline March 20, 2017.
Read more about how to apply here: 2017 Summer Science Writing Internship
The intern will receive a $4,000 stipend for the 40-hour per week, 10-week summer internship located at VASG’s headquarters at Gloucester Point, along with reimbursement for assignment related travel. There is only one position available.
Eligibility & Application Process
Any student, regardless of citizenship, who is enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, or who has recently graduated from a program in communication, journalism, science writing, basic science, or other related field at an accredited institution of higher education in the U.S., is eligible for the internship.
All qualified students are encouraged to apply; however, qualified applicants from Virginia institutions will be given priority. There will be no additional allowance for housing costs, so applicants should consider their ability to find housing in Southeast Virginia, and to provide their own automobile transportation to and from work.
Please create an account at http://vaseagrant.ecsion.com (copy and paste url into your browser), and upload the application materials listed below as a single PDF document. (Please use a 12-point font) Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Letter of Interest (2-page maximum): This letter should help us learn more about you. We will want to know (1) why you are interested in the internship; (2) your career goals and how a science writing internship will help you to achieve them; (3) education and experience you have had in science and in writing; (4) examples of previous projects, whether personal, educational, or professional, that you've worked on and enjoyed; and (5) communication skills you have, AND the skills you would like to develop further.
- Resume (2-page maximum): Include email addresses and phone numbers of two references who can attest to your writing ability (one reference can be the letter writer from #5 below).
- Short writing sample: Provide a link to something you have written, and available online. You can also provide a document of something you have written if you do not yet have a published article.
- All transcripts: Unofficial transcripts may be submitted.
- Letter of recommendation: One letter should be uploaded directly from a faculty member, supervisor, or advisor who can speak to your writing ability and experience. You will be able to notify them directly through your http://vaseagrant.ecsion.com account.
Timeline for the Evaluation Process and Internship:
April – Intern selection, phone and video/in-person nterviews;
Late May/Early June to August – Internship period