Our competitive program provides students with the experience of performing a mentored meteorological/hydrological research project while assisting in operations at a NWS forecast office. Each chosen student will present a briefing of his/her research towards the end of the summer. Please see below for more information about our program.
College students wishing to apply to the NWS Sterling volunteer program must submit ALL of the following before the deadline of Monday, January 29th:
- An application form filled out online
- A one-page resume (emailed to email@example.com)
- An official college transcript (emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed in, see below)
If your college or university will only mail official transcripts, please have them sent to:
National Weather Service
Weather Forecast Office Baltimore/Washington
Attn: Jason Elliott
43858 Weather Service Rd
Sterling, VA 20166
We hope to make selections for this summer's volunteers by the end of February.
More About Our Student Volunteer Program
Mandatory Student Volunteer Duties while at NWS Baltimore/Washington include:
- Volunteer approximately 16-24 hours per week on a set schedule
- Work on an assigned research project with a NWS meteorologist
- Submit summer research results to the 2018 National Weather Association annual conference, which will be held August 25-30 in St. Louis, MO.
(Students are strongly encouraged, but not required, to attend the conference to present their work.)
For more information or to apply, please visit: http://www.weather.gov/lwx/student