Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine (MU JCESOM) Graduate Program is offering the Summer Research Internship for Minority Students (SRIMS) for its tenth year!
The SRIMS program includes nine weeks of graduate-level research in the field of biomedical sciences. Participants receive formal research training while expanding their learning experience through workshops, seminars on current topics, mentoring and use of state-of-the-art core facilities.
The vision behind Marshall’s commitment to this program is twofold:
- To establish a pipeline of diverse, underrepresented students into health-related research.
- To enrich the current research through an added diversity of ideas, perspectives, and cultures.
General Guidelines and Eligibility
Each year, applications from undergraduate and underrepresented minority-in-science students who have not graduated by August of the program year are considered. Also, students are required to present their research at the WV Summer Research Symposium the last week of the program and should note this as they commit to the program. A stipend of $3,000 will be provided to each participant for the nine-week experience. Participants will receive free room and board, as well as assistance with travel. Please note that students are required to provide their own health insurance coverage during the summer program.
To be considered complete, your application must contain the following:
- Completed online application form (no fee) – If you are unable to complete your application at one time, your content will be saved. A code to return to your saved application will be sent to the email address that you provide on the application. Note that digital signatures are accepted for applicants who choose to email their applications.
- Transcripts from all institutions of higher learning attended – Unofficial copies may be uploaded to the online application or scanned and emailed to the address below. Please note: you may be required to provide official copies at a later date.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors of scientific disciplines. Please have them use the form and directions included in the online application. They may scan their form and email (from their institution’s email account) them as attachments to the program at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may have additional forms/letters submitted, if you wish.
- Written statement addressing interest/experience in research, career goals, and why you would like to participate in this program (generally 350-700 words). Upload to the online application.
- A résumé should be uploaded to the online application.
The application and supporting documents are due in the office on or before February 9th, 2018.
Minority Research Internship
MU JCESOM Graduate Program
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755-2195
For more information or to apply, please visit: https://jcesom.marshall.edu/research/srims
Questions? Please email email@example.com or call (304)-696-7279.
Program begins: May 29, 2018